[WriteLog] Question on dual monitors

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Question on dual monitors
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:04:00 -0500
> Say you have two windows on monitor 1, arranged so that each takes up
> half the screen.  Can you drag one to the other monitor and then expand
> both windows to fill each screen fully?  Is it as simple as that?

Yes, it is that simple!

> If so, I think I'm interested.  <g>
>
> Also, when you boot up, what do you see at first?  A normal screen on
> monitor 1 and nothing on monitor 2 until you move something over there?

Something like that.  Under your monitor settings (right-click Properties on
your background), click on the Advanced button.  That will bring up a screen
that is variable depending on the monitor driver software.  The Matrox card
has a window with a tab that says Dual Head - that contains many
possibilities as to how it works.  Mine now says the resolution is 1600x600
(2x800 X 600).  Or you can "clone" it with the same thing on both (?why).
Or you can enlarge one window on one monitor - I guess the photo artists
like this?

Mine startes the initial boot process on 1 monitor, but when the Windows
stuff starts coming up, it's on both monitors.  If you have a centered photo
as your background, it will be spread over both monitors.  You can drag a
window over so that it's only part way, but more than halfway, on the other
monitor, then click the full screen handle or double-click on the title bar
and it will expand to full screen on the one monitor.

Dual monitors is grrreat for WRITELOG, but they are great for a lot of other
activities too!  73

One caution - I bought a PCI card for my old Gateway that was supposed to
support dual monitors - sorry, I forget the name.  There are very few - I
only found the one - PCI video cards that support dual monitors - Most of
the dual cards are AGP video cards for newer computers.  I got an error
message when it first booted after installing the card.  The error msg
indicated that the BIOS didn't support it (even though it was a PCI card in
a PCI slot!).  The card came from CDW and I had a horendous time of a
zillion phone calls, had to be aggressive, and over a month later I finally
got credit for it!  Anyway, I later got a new Dell and took the Matrox 450
video choice.