[WriteLog] Chopped CW

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Chopped CW
From: windev@inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:24:15 -0500
We ran M/S in ARRL CW this past weekend -- 4003Qs with three operating
positions, each running Writelog on dual monitors.

It was interesting that we had two of the computers with identical
setups - IBM T21 laptops - and one had choppy CW, the other did not.
The third computer, a Dual-PIII/700 desktop, did not have any trouble.

The culprit is FastFind, a system task that is usually installed my
MS Office or by other MS applications.  FastFind is a background process
which indexes your hard disk so that searches quickly locate files.  It
has too high a priority when Writelog needs to send CW.

Check to see if FastFind is running in the task list - maybe that is the
issue.

Our only issue with Writelog was the fact that the 10-minute
timer/band-change counter is pretty useless for ARRL M/S...  It does
not track across the network, band changes are only shown for the "local"
radio, and ARRL rules are "6 band changes in CLOCK hour", whereas
Writelog looks at the last 60 minutes.

73,

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM
Op @ K1IR in ARRL CW -- 6.15 Megs M/S