[WriteLog] N6TR Kenwood computer interface: Help needed!

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] N6TR Kenwood computer interface: Help needed!
From: jon@praxisworks.org (Jon Harder)
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:13:02 -0000
Hi Dean,

Don't give up!

I'm sitting here right now reading your email message while my homebrew
N6TR-style interface for the 850 is pumping out frequencies happily and
speedily to and from the computer.  Also use the RigControl PTT in WriteLog.
It works just fine and has for over two years in a variety of setups.  Since
only two lines on the serial port are used, RX and TX,  in some programs the
handshaking has to be set for XonXoff, (software control.)  Others don't
give a choice, but seem to work anyway.   In MMTTY I have to be sure that
VFO polling is set to " Kenwood Auto."   For any software, the 850  needs
settings of 4800 baud, 8 bits, NO parity, 2 stop bits, XonXoff handshake.
Under Windows,  also be sure to preset the appropriate port to these values
in the Device Manager.

Presently using it under WinXP with MMTTY 1.60, YP Log, WriteLog 10.30, and
even good old XPWin 1.28.  It also works just fine under Win98SE.   Right
now it's doing great on Comm 6, which here is the second of two PCI serial
ports with a SIIG Cyberport in a little AMD K6 400 with 256 mB RAM.  Hope
you can get yours going, as it really should work fine with the simple I/O
setup.

73,   Jon                     K1US