[WriteLog] Update on frequency control via the "Wheel"

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Update on frequency control via the "Wheel"
From: nr1dx@tellink.net (Dave Henderson)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:25:11 +0000
All

While I still have no response or clues as to how to access the RIT of my
Kenwood radios via the keyboard. The work around for the moment seems to be
to use the radio in split VFO mode and QSY the "receive" VFO using the
mouse wheel.

A previous poster pointed out that there are now keyboards available with
the wheel "built in" to the keyboard.. I visited COMP-USA last night and
found two such keyboards one  by MicroSquish and the other by Logitech. For
reasons of personal ergonomics (I liked the "feel" of  Logitech wheel
better) and cost (the Logitech was almost half the price of the other), I
chose the Logitech . I am pleased to announce that it works very well with
Writelog and solves at least half my problem of not taking the fingers from
the keyboard during high run rate CW contesting using the split VFO's as
my  jackleg RIT. All of this under WIN98SE ( your personal mileage may vary)

For those of you who decide to use this feature of Writelog don't forget to
play with the <Mouse_Wheel_Hz=XXX> line in the Writelog.ini file so you get
the right amount of frequency change for your own personal taste. In my
case I set it to 250 HZ for what ever reason ( possibly the set up on the
keyboard mouse wheel) 1 "click-detent" of the  mouse wheel produces 125 hz
change, which is about right for tunning the band doing S&P depressing the
<FINE> button on my Kenwood reduces this by a factor of 10 which is just
about right for the jackleg RIT function.

Another nice feature of the keyboard is that there are 9 user definable
keys above the function keys which among other things can be configured to
launch your favorite web pages or programs (Writelog and FKEY !). It has
that  nice "clicky feel" of the old IBM keyboard as well.

Dave
NR1DX

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Logitech or Comp-USA