[WriteLog] MAJOR Problems: A. VOLTA RTTY Module UPDATE

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] MAJOR Problems: A. VOLTA RTTY Module UPDATE
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:52:33 -0500
I came home and tried the A. Volta contest module.  It
works exactly the same on my pure Win98SE machine as it did
on my NT machine at the office.  This machine has a full Win98SE
installation on it.

However, when I tried it on my Win95 machine and Win98SE
machine that was originally a Win95 machine but upgraded to
Win98SE, there was a different and BAD reaction.  Why it's different
is a mystery to me!  I am running the same version WL (10.32D beta)
on all machines.  I know it's beta but I doubt it makes a difference.
It's a problem in the module, not WL itself.

On the Win95 machines, the module is nearly unusable as is.  After you
click on a callsign in the RTTYrite window, it is placed in the Entry
Window and the cursor goes to the RST field - all OK.  But, when you click on
the serial number, it is placed in the RST field!  What's worse is then
when you try to correct the RST field, it changes from a 3 digit number (599)
to a 2 digit RS report (59) and you can't return it to 599 without wiping
out the entire contents of the Entry Window with ALT-W - oh brother.

THE WORKAROUND DESCRIBED BELOW IS RECOMMENDED
FOR ALL MACHINES, WIN95 OR NOT, WHEN RUNNING THE VOLTA
MODULE.

There is a safe workaround if your machine behaves this way.  You have to
eliminate the RST report in the Entry Window by going to the Contest
menu on the main WL screen and choosing "Exchange Format Setup..."

When asked "Do you want to initialize ALL fields in the exchange?", click
NO.

In the left hand column, click once on RST and it will highlight.  In the list
to the right un-check "Prompt.  Include in QSO entry prompt".

Next click on the "Save" button at the bottom, then click "OK".

You will notice that the RST field is now gone from the Entry Window.
Now, the module works great (in a way).  After you click on the callsign,
the cursor goes to the RCVD field.  When you click on the serial number
in the RTTYrite window, it properly goes to the RCVD field.  You can
even then click on the zone in the RTTYrite window AND IT DOES NOT
WIPE OUT THE CALLSIGN IN THE ENTRY WINDOW!  "Unknown
Multiplier" appears in red in the Entry Window but ignore it.   If you tab
through the Entry Window it goes away and shows if it is a new Station
or new Mult correctly.

When you log the QSO it will properly show 599 reports as both send
and received in the log and everything is right in the world.

Because of this important finding, I am recommending that even if you are
running Win98SE or NT or whatever Windows version that works like
what is shown on my website, that you go ahead and eliminate the RST field
anyway.

If I have time, I'll put a page up on the site before the weekend showing how
to eliminate the RST field in the Entry Window.  Don't ask me what to do
if someone gives you a report other than 599.  You won't like my answer.

I know this is a lot of work and it should NOT be.  But there really isn't much
choice at this point and time if you want to use WL for this weekend's VOLTA
contest.

I won't apologize - I didn't do it.  I will apologize for being so brunt.  I'm
having
a very bad day.  I took my $30k one-year-old truck into the local Ford dealer
for a simple warranty repair and they wreck it in their back lot a week before
I leave for Dayton.  And it wasn't just a minor fender bender.

Any good lawyers out there?

73, Don AA5AU