[WriteLog] PTT on CW port RTS

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PTT on CW port RTS
From: George Johnson" <w1zt@arrl.net (George Johnson)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 03:01:43 -0400
I get a similar response from my AMD 233MHz machine running Win 98SE.
When the computer boots, I get my LPT1 PTT line asserted.  This means
pin 16 is high which drives the base circuit of the transistor and is
probably the .75v you are seeing at the base...  during that condition,
PTT has been turned on.  If you measure the voltage at pin 16 of LPT it
will probably be above 2V during this time.

I have tried to find another program (like trying to print) that will
regain control of that LPT line after I boot the machine but the only
thing that works here (so far) is to start WL into a "dummy" contest.
It seems to simply initialize that port (puts the LPT line to a logic
0)...  and it stays there even if I quit WL.  That frees up the PTT line
and I can get on with whatever I was doing with other software etc.

The actual computer boot causes the LPT problem here... not WL.  I use
WL to clear pin 16 then either run a contest or shut WL down and do
other things and the rig is no longer "locked on".  Since the LPT line
is actually being driven high, a 2K resistor to ground will not solve
this particular problem.

George .. W1ZT