[WriteLog] To RIGBlaster Users

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] To RIGBlaster Users
From: n7us@arrl.net (Jim McDonald)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:18:00 -0700
Don,

I'm using a Rigblaster Plus for FSK and a little bit of PSK31.  I have my
mic going to it, and its audio output to the mic input of the Mark-V.  I
saved myself the effort of making an interface, of course, and it seems to
work well with MMTTY/FSK and Digipan.  I have the sound card and Rigblaster
set so that I leave my mic gain on the Mark-V the same for PSK31 (a couple
of QSOs to date!) and SSB.

One drawback is that one still can't use the voice keyer of WL unless the
mic is routed to the input of the sound board, which was a disappointment.
(I had hoped, but obviously not confirmed, that it would do that with the
recommended isolation.)

A disadvantage to this setup is that I only have the SSB filters available
in PSK31 unless I use K6SE's program, which I can't do if I'm using rig
control with WL of DXbase; that disadvantage of course doesn't exist in the
MP.  The solution, I think would be to use the AFSK/Packet input on the
radio instead, but I'm not doing that.
I still had to figure out the Rigblaster and its jumper settings, so it
wasn't a 30-minute exercise.

I have the PC's stereo speakers plugged into the RB, which is a convenience.
I have a bit of hum with them that I haven't taken the time to track down.

>From reading the QST review of the MFJ unit, it doesn't do FSK.

That's my experience, FWIW.

Jim N7US