[WriteLog] Windows XP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Windows XP
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:00:48 -0400
Dave,
I currently have two XP computers and one Win98 computer on my
home network.
First, there is a difference between XP Home and XP Pro versions.
In the Home version, everyone is an administrator, and it follows
the peer to peer network model. I prefer this approach for
simplicity. Everyone can share files with everyone. No passwords
are necessary. No kids or wife bugging "the administrator" about
things.
Second, if you are running a network with an Internet connection,
make sure the permissions are set properly to avoid someone out
in Internet-land from sharing your C: drive :.) A firewall is one
approach. Another is setting up the network to use NetBeui instead
of TCP/IP, between computers. XP comes with TCP/IP only
installed, however, Netbeui is on the XP CDROM and can be
installed. The steps to do this can be found in a PC World article
which is on their Web site (no, I don't have the URL handy).

For me, XP has worked well. It defintiely is more stable than 98,
and doesn't require periodic rebooting to free up resources that
were never released when they should have been. On the down
side, some software/hardware that ran on 98 won't run on XP. A
few of the kids' CDROMs, for example. Also my Visioneer scanner,
only 2 years old, is not supported under XP, but I was able to
install it with a very klugey and convoluted install procedure from
Visioneer (and they have no intention of updating their drivers, etc. -
last time I buy from them!).
If you are into networking, you may like the server/user model.
Personally, I prefer peer to peer for simplicity, and no need to keep
a server PC up and running at all times.
73,
Barry W2UP