[WriteLog] Which sound board??

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Which sound board??
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 19:33:20 +0000
Sante,

My computer also has the integrated AC97 chip but the AO40Rcv telemetry
program would not decode without CRC errors on the AC97 chip. What I did
was to get two identical Creative 16 PCI cards to add in. I ended up with
two cards of the same model because I could never get the single 16
PCI  and the PCI128 to install in the proper order and I could not get
Writelog to accept AFSK played thru the 2nd card - it would switch the Line
In but not the Line Out and there did not seem to be any Index Override
command on the Line Out side.

So I have

Creative SB AudioPCI
Creative SB AudioPCI (2)
SoundMAX Digital Audio

I can use sound card Index 0 for the WinRTTY windows (rtty, psk31 or cw)
from the FT1000mp Main on Left and Sub on Right
But now I can use the second card Index 1 for a second MMTTY plug in
window. Or I use it sometimes to run AO40Rcv telemetry program.
The third card (on the mother board) I use to play music, etc. I plan to
use it to play back wave files from contest but I haven't gotten to that stage

In looking back at my notes I disabled the AC97, then installed each of the
other cards and then reinstalled the drivers for the AC97. Everything has
been running smoothly. I had several messages on the Writelog list server
back in November 2001 about this problem.

Writelog seems to do fine with whatever you can get installed as Sound card
at Index 0 but does not seem to do so well at Index 1. But does seem to be
able to do the record/playback thing ok there. So install your add-in card
as Index 0 and then reinstall the AC97 at Index 1 (if you only need two)

The Creative Sound Blaster 16PCI card seems to be working out for everyone.

Jerry, W6IHG