[WriteLog] cw keying, com port

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] cw keying, com port
From: sdyer@interlogue.com (Steve Dyer)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:41:21 -0700
>From http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm:

RS232 data is bi-polar.... +3 TO +12 volts indicates an "ON or 0-state
(SPACE) condition" while A -3 to -12 volts indicates an "OFF" 1-state (MARK)
condition.... Modern computer equipment ignores the negative level and
accepts a zero voltage level as the "OFF" state. In fact, the "ON" state may
be achieved with lesser positive potential. This means circuits powered by 5
VDC are capable of driving RS232 circuits directly, however, the overall
range that the RS232 signal may be transmitted/received may be dramatically
reduced.

The output signal level usually swings between +12V and -12V. The "dead
area" between +3v and -3v is designed to absorb line noise. In the various
RS-232-like definitions this dead area may vary. For instance, the
definition for V.10 has a dead area from +0.3v to -0.3v. Many receivers
designed for RS-232 are sensitive to differentials of 1v or less.

http://www.lvr.com/serport.htm has many RS-232 links.

Steve, W1SRD