[WriteLog] MMTTY delay problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] MMTTY delay problem
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:47:13 -0700
There is an oddity with MMTTY I can't quite get fixed.

I'm running MMTTY under Windows XP home version.  The problem is
sometimes - maybe once out of 20 or so - MMTTY takes several
seconds to return to RX mode at the end of a macro.  It just
transmits a carrier without diddle for about three seconds and
then finally returns to RX.  Also, but less often, the same delay
happens at the start of a macro.  The problem exists only when
using macros.  Using F9 (running MMTTY stand alone) to start and
stop transmission always works properly.

After lots of experimenting, I found that inserting a tilde
character (~) just before the \ character at the end of the macro
apparently fixes the problem when running MMTTY stand alone, but
not when using it with WriteLog.  I doubt this is a "real" fix,
but rather compensation for some underlying issue.

So my question is how to make WriteLog behave.  Any suggestions?
And does anyone know what causes the problem in the first place?

BTW, the problem does not happen using WriteLog with a separate
TNC such as a DXP-38.  It seems to be something inherent with
MMTTY.

All suggestions appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

73, Bill W7TI