[WriteLog] Which Sound Card?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Which Sound Card?
From: wa9als@starband.net (wa9als)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:24:32 -0500
A few quick points - others will have more when they awaken this morning!

1.  You are well-equipped for contesting in general as far as rig and
computer, although you might think about a 40+MB HDD.  I've never heard
anyone discuss the speed of the HDD as far as WL is concerned, but of
course, faster is better if you're buying a new one!  A faster drive -might-
be helpful when saving a huge contest file, a problem I've never suffered
much!

2.  You don't have to have 2 soundcards to work SO2R and to record SO2R - WL
uses stereo channels, so you can record 2 radios with 1 soundcard.  For
RTTY, this means that you use the built-in WinRTTY modem software.  However,
some of us like to use the MMTTY RTTY software modem with WL.  If you want
to use MMTTY in an SO2R operation, you -will- need 2 soundcards - See
http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/so2r-mmttyx2.htm.  You don't need anything
"fancy" - A Creative Soundblaster 16 PCI is fine.

3.  Any Windows soundcard will probably "work" with WriteLog, but if you
want to do SO2R and maximize the utility of WL in all modes, you will want
one that scores 7f with the WriteLog SoundCheck program, available from the
WriteLog web site.

4.  Of course, read everything at www.k9jy.com and
http://www.geocities.com/writelog/!  K9JY discusses wave file compression on
his site.