[WriteLog] Hello Writelog!

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Hello Writelog!
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:14:38 -0500
At 09:08 PM 8/19/2002, Bill wrote:
>Is Writelog truly a usable contest logging program?

It's quite usable by people who aren't hung up on how their "old" logging
program works.

I've never used anything else and have never had a significant problem with
WriteLog in any contest. I've used it in single operator, SO2R and
multi-operator configurations. It works fine. It always has. Sure, there
are some quirks, but it's nothing that will prevent you from using the
software to log contacts.

The ones who have the most problems are those who are bound and determined
to make WriteLog look, act, and work like the stuff they already know and
who are dead set against learning anything new.

If you're the type who constantly cusses Windows in general, WriteLog is
not for you.

The documentation is "dismal" because it's mostly "unnecessary" - this
isn't a complicated program, though many have succeeded in making it seem
that way. If you understand how Windows programs work in general and can
transfer that basic knowledge to something new, you'll do fine. Otherwise,
WriteLog is not for you.

>Even though I've been a legal owner of Writelog for
>more than a year, I'm afraid to use it.

Why? You could learn how to use it in some contest that doesn't matter.

If you're the type who waits to configure the software until five minutes
before the contest starts, WriteLog is not for you.

>I've not yet installed 10.34B. If I do try to install this
>version on a WIN98 machine, will I wish I hadn't?

Not if you do it right. I've never had a single installation program on
Win98 or Windows 2000.

But if 10.34B doesn't fix something specific that you need, there's no real
reason to upgrade. At least not right before a contest. Do it a few weeks
ahead, play with the software and see what it does. Wait until 5 minutes
before a contest, and you'll probably have trouble.

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com