[Writelog] RTTY Callsign Database Offer

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Writelog] RTTY Callsign Database Offer
From: wa9als@1umc.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:29:29 -0500
> The callsigns are from stations worked in RTTY contests for many
> years and are an accumulation of lists generated by others, callsigns from
> major contest log checkers and my own RTTY contest logs.  The file is
> regularly checked by Ed, K4SB, against the FCC database and old USA
> calls are removed.  The present file contains 21,359 callsigns.  Because
of
> the size of the file, it may bog down some DOS programs.  Use at your
> own risk.

Don is very generous to offer this file up.  What interests me and also
bothers me a little is didn't we decide awhile back that there are only
about 2000-3000 RTTY contesters at the most?  So if Don's calls are all from
RTTY contesters, there must be an awfully lot of skeletons in there??  I see
Don is offering it up to numerous reflectors, including CD Contest, so this
file must also have SSB and CW contesters' calls in it too?

It seems like what we would want for a given RTTY contest is a svelt,
up-to-date file of RTTY [only]contesters?  As Don mentioned, ESPECIALLY for
those using those old things with those long black slots,CW-capable LPT
ports, and 2 serial ports!  ;-))  Just curious - Why would we want those
"other" 20,000 calls?