[WriteLog] USB>Serial

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB>Serial
From: don@hfradio.com (Don Melcher)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:32:07 -0700
How can you say Belkin was good when it didn't work??? I have NEVER had
ANYTHING from Belkin work as advertised.

I use USB>Serial devices from Edgeport and they work - as did the now
discontinued Entrega & Xircom units - if you can still find them.

Edgeport makes USB > 1, 2, or 4 serial ports, as well as USB> 4 USB, 2
Serial and 1 Printer port (No - it won't work as an LPT port for CW or other
uses with WL - NO USB>Printer device does that I know of). Price range is
$90 - $300.

Option 2 is ONLY viable if you have an available IRQ - and most laptops
don't these days unless you disable the IR port or something else. I speak
from experience of dealing with customers machines who tried to install a
PCMCIA Serial card from Socket without an available IRQ - I had to get out
the BIG hammer and edit the registry to get the thing Un-half-way installed.

But the BEST idea is to investigate before you buy and get a laptop that
DOES have a serial port (and a printer port) - that way when things don't
work - you are only fighting one battle - not possibly two. They are still
out there. The use the other devices when you need more then one.

It is naive to expect Ham software to keep pace with changes in computer
hardware.

Don
W6ZO

Message: 3