[WriteLog] FSK or AFSK

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FSK or AFSK
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:56:10 -0500
> Going to try and run a little of the CQ/RJ WW RTTY Contest this weekend
and
> have not used WriteLog in a RTTY mode before.  I am using a RigBlaster
> interface and use the MRTTY program a lot.  Do I want to select FSK or
AFSK?

I don't think you know the magnitude of the question you asked.  An adequate
response would take more time than most of us have right now, about an hour
before the contest starts.

If you have your setup wired to an audio input to your rig (e.g. mic, patch,
audio in via ACC etc), then you want AFSK.  When running AFSK, there are all
sorts of caveats to know about, including but not limited to proper use of
NET and AFC, knowing what frequency your really on, and not overdriving your
rig.  If, on the other hand, you have FSK output from WriteLog or MMTTY
(etc) wired to the FSK input of your rig, then you will want to choose FSK.

Lots of people will be able to offer help later, but many will be tied up in
the contest.  If you don't get all the help you need this weekend, please
try again later.  73 - John (WA9ALS)

Feeling really jittery about now.....

T-64 min and counting...