[WriteLog] fast re-start of WriteLog

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] fast re-start of WriteLog
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:31:22 -0500
Just to confirm what Eric said, my experience was similar durig this past CQWW
CW where I ran WriteLog for the first time in a network configuration.

At first, it worked perfectly, but then, my main PC crashed.  This is not
typical for this computer, and I have no clue why it crashed, as I was not
operating when it occured and my screen saver was activated at the time.

The second computer kept running and reported the network failure and loss of
connectivity to the main PC.  This looked great - I was impressed with the
status reporting.

Thereafter, I was not as diligent as Eric, and gave up when I found that
recovery was not automatic.  And I had trouble figuring out what steps needed
to be taken to recover.

I'm hesitant to use this software as-is in a serious multi-op situation given
this problem.  Don't get me wrong, I love WriteLog and use it as a single-op
all the time in every contest I operate from home.

However, I usually coordinate the computing environment for the multi-ops I
participate in, and am looking into alternatives for DOS based CT as most
operators show up with their work laptops with XP, NT or 2000 on them which are
not conducive to CT use.

Can't the configuration be stored and recovery become more automatic?  Or, am I
just unable to figure out how to make this happen?

N5NJ