[WriteLog] WPX and WL Serial Number Assignment

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WPX and WL Serial Number Assignment
From: w2cs@bellsouth.net (Gary Ferdinand W2CS)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:37:05 -0500
I did a google-groups search and found nil. Then I went to the archives, but
finding an item by searching each month is hit and miss. Apologies in
advance for what is possibly a duplicate thread.

I'm considering using WL in the CQ WPX this spring, multi-multi.  In my test
setups I'm unable to make WL behave properly with respect to QSO number
assignment.  In WPX the QSO numbers increment on a per band basis.  WL
supports per band, but apparently not across operating positions.  Or, at
best, it's a matter of timing.

What I'm seeing is that as long as (for example two) the stations are not
logging at the same time, the QSO numbers come out correct.  If both
positions are on 40, for example, there is a properly formed string of
serial numbers shared between the two operating positions, but unique to the
band.  Good so far.

However, when I simulate the two positions both in the midst of logging (but
not transmitting!) at the same time, both are allocate the next QSO number
in the sequence.  Seems like lots of duplicate QSO numbers would be
generated to the extent that a multiplier position is able to work Qs in
between the run station's transmit times.

Is this a known WL design shortcoming or is there a workaround?  Again, I
have specified, in both WL positions, QSO number by band.  Seems like the
scope of the "allocate next QSO number" event is not a network-wide event
and should be.

Thanks in advance and happy new year to all,

Gary W2CS
Apex, NC