[WriteLog] 64 bit PCI cards??

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] 64 bit PCI cards??
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:37:27 +0000
Follow up on Mondays request.

I hear from Creative, the makers of our Sound Blaster line of sound cards.
They do not make any cards that fit into the newer higher speed 64 bit PCI
slots (the longer ones with two keys).

So right now I have put the two 16 PCI sound cards in and am using the
Comtrol RocketPort USB to 4 Serial ports. This is the same one that would
not run at all in my 2 generations back Dell Precision computer under
Windows 98.

Looking into Comtrol internal 8 port PCI card which they say fits into 64
bit slot or another 4 port USB device. That leaves both my on-board serial
ports free for FSK

Just letting things heat soak for a few days before BARTG Sprint. Thanks to
those that provided help.

Jerry, W6IHG

At 07:28 PM 1/12/2003 +0000, Jerry Pixton wrote:
>All,
>
>I just got a shock today - fortunately not electrical.
>
>Just setting up my new Dell 650 Workstation, which besides being my
>development machine is destined to run my two radios. The 530 Workstation
>which I have used for the past two years with two Soundblaster 16 PCI
>cards and the Lava Octopus 8 Port Serial PCI card has three 32 bit PCI
>slots and two 64 bit PCI slots. But my new 650, the next generation, has
>only two 32 bit PCI slots and three 64 bit PCI slots.
>
>Both the Soundblaster 16 PCI cards and the Lava Octopus will only fit in
>32 bit PCI slots. So I have to either throw out my Octopus or get a sound
>card that fits in the 64 bit slot.
>
>Is any one successfully using a sound card that fits in the 64 bit PCI
>slots?  I think the way you can identify them, at least on the short cards
>is that they have TWO openings in the pin connections so that they fit
>either in the 32 bit or 64 bit slots. I thought I was ok - I made sure
>that I still had 5 PCI slots, not thinking that they come in two types.

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton@shentel.net