[WriteLog] SO2R Controllers

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SO2R Controllers
From: djl@andlev.com (Dan Levin)
Date: Sat Jan 25 11:15:12 2003
NB: I use the W5XD keyer, and have (in two versions) for years...

I have done a fair bit of research into this point, and can share the
following:

1) If you want to use WL's built in audio switching, you have to use the
W5XD keyer.  It is the only one that I know of that supports this feature
(which I use, and like).

2) WL's fairly whacky stereo out splits to two mono mic outs from the sound
card DVP output isn't supported by (any?) other keyers.  Of course, it isn't
supported by the W5XD keyer either (you need to build a separate box).  The
point here is that you can't use any of the other solution's mic switching
with WL.

3) The only way to get reliable CW out of WL from any and all computers is
to the use W5XD keyer.

4) The W5XD keyer doesn't really provide any manual control over the SO2R
feature, the way the SO2R Master does, for example.  If manual control is
important to you...

5) The W5XD keyer works well.

For my money, given that I use the software audio switching feature, the
W5XD keyer is the only option.  I think if all you want is CW and PTT
switching, you can use any of them.  They all support the A/B switch that
the software puts out.  If you don't use the WL software audio control, and
want audio control (esp. with a manual control capability), then the W5XD
keyer isn't for you.

Hope this helps...

            ***dan, K6IF