[WriteLog] FMRE RTTY Contest & other things...

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FMRE RTTY Contest & other things...
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Thu Jan 30 14:16:02 2003
Getting a lot of mail on the upcoming FMRE RTTY contest.  For
WriteLog users , you will need to download and install the SM6SRW
RTTY modules from the 3rd Party Downloads page on the WriteLog
website in order to have the correct module which is called FMRE Contest.

Some of the older versions of the SM6SRW modules show the contest
as XE RTTY.  If this module shows up in the contest list, then you should
upgrade your SM6SRW modules to the latest one available on the WL site.

Also, 160M has been removed from the contest this year.  This was the
only RTTY contest that had 160M.  Not sure why it was removed.  I was
hoping to work 160 this year.  It would be nice to have at least one RTTY
contest with 160M.  Might be good for discussion.  The XE was a good
contest for 160M because it's not a high activity contest although I did
make over 600 QSO's last year (I think).

Also, has anyone ever received any sort of certificate from this contest?
The rules mention awards, but I received an E-mail from last year's winner
wondering if I had received anything (I was lucky to place 2nd).  Neither
of us received anything.  Wallpaper is not all that important to me but
I'd like something to scan for my website.

Update on MMTTY Engine 1.63B:  Works great in initial testing.  No
hangups on the F-keys.  Manually sent hundreds of CQ's on a dead 20M
band past couple of evenings.  A noticeable improvement in response time
when transmitting FSK.  The thing keys right up and immediately starts
sending FSK with no lag time, even when using a USB-to-serial adapter
to generate the FSK.  One of the most often reported problems was lag
time from initial PTT to the start of the first character sent.  This appears
to be fixed.  Haven't got a good feel on how it decodes, the bands are dead
by the time I get home from work.

Updated my WL website to include example RTTY messages for the FMRE
contest and added the link to the pull-down menu page as well.  Also included
a link to the FMRE site where you can find the official rules to the contest.

I received an update from Ed, K4SB, on the AA5AU RTTY callsign database
but I need him to make some changes before I upload it to the site.  The
changes are minor so I may wait until after the XE contest and then make a
new update available before WPX RTTY.  Stay tuned.

http://www.geocities.com/writelog

73, Don AA5AU