[WriteLog] W5XDMulti+ Keyer and USB serial

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] W5XDMulti+ Keyer and USB serial
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon Feb 3 19:10:49 2003
I ran into this problem with the Entrega 4-port USB serial device back when
beta testing the W5XD+ keyer. The problem is that the keyer protocol is
implemented by switching several RS-232 signals on and off. I can't remember
which ones, but probably RTS, CTS, DTR and the like. Wayne and I found that
these signals switch very, very slowly on a USB serial port compared with a
standard RS-232 UART-based port, and this affects the keyer protocol
throughput so much that the interface was useless. I complained about the
slow switching speed to Entrega, but got no response (they disappeared and
were acquired by Intel, which has since dropped the product.)

It's interesting that this is not just an Entrega problem. This is the first
report I've heard of it on a non-Entrega device. Is anyone using the W5XD+
keyer successfully on a different brand USB serial port?

I had thought that Entrega didn't bother to fix the problem because normally
the switching speed of the RS-232 signals is relatively unimportant
(although it could be a factor for hardware flow control at high data
rates.) But perhaps this is an inherent problem with USB serial ports.
That's hard to believe -- I can't think of any reason why RS-232 signal
switching on USB serial ports should be so slow. It's true that, unlike a
UART-based port, the device is translating a serial stream of commands from
the device driver into high and low voltage states on the pins, but if it
can do that on the Send Data and Receive Data pins (2 & 3) fast enough for
156K baud, then it ought to be able to flip the other signals just as fast.

73, Dick WC1M