[WriteLog] Alternate CQ on 2 radios and other SO2R relatedquestions

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Alternate CQ on 2 radios and other SO2R relatedquestions
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon Feb 10 12:51:01 2003
Zoltan,

The %X is used to suppress automatic radio switching in SO2R stations. If
you use Writelog's automatic switching feature, you should prefix the CQ
message with %X so that pressing this key does not cause a radio switch.

Here's a more technical explanation: When the transmit focus is on the first
radio and the keyboard focus is on the second  radio, pressing any function
key will cause the transmit focus to switch to the second radio and the
message in that function key will be sent. If %X appears in the function key
message, switching will not take place and the message will be sent on the
first radio.

How do you use this? If you don't use Timed CQ and Auto-Restart:

1. Start a CQ on the first radio (F1 in CT mode).
2. "Split" the focus by hitting SHIFT-UP-ARROW or SHIFT-DOWN-ARROW.
3. Find a station to work on the second radio.
4. Hit the function key containing your call (F4 in CT mode.)
5. The CQ is stopped, the transmit focus shifts to the second radio and your
call is sent.
6. Hit the function key containing the exchange (F2 in CT mode.)
7. After the QSO, split the focus again and start another CQ on the first
radio.

Note that in step 7 if you don't have a %X in the CQ function key message,
the transmit focus would be switched to the second radio and the CQ would be
sent there.

The above sequence requires a fair amount of manual work, so I like to have
the switching done automatically. Here's how:

1. Use ALT-T to set the CQ repeat delay and enable Auto-Restart.
2. Start a CQ on the first radio (F1 in CT mode).
3. "Split" the focus by hitting SHIFT-UP-ARROW or SHIFT-DOWN-ARROW.
4. Find a station to work on the second radio.
5. Hit the function key containing your call (F4 in CT mode.)
6. The CQ is stopped, the transmit focus shifts to the second radio, your
call is sent, the transmit focus shifts back to the first radio, and the CQ
is restarted from the beginning.
7. Hit the function key containing the exchange (F2 in CT mode.)
8. The CQ is stopped, the transmit focus shifts to the second radio, the
exchange is sent, the transmit focus shifts back to the first radio, and the
CQ is restarted from the beginning.

Again, you need %X in the CQ function key message to keep it from switching
the transmit focus. Also note that if a station answers your CQ on the first
radio, you just have to reunite the focus by hitting SHIFT-UP-ARROW or
SHIFT-DOWN-ARROW again. Then all function key messages will be sent to the
first radio.

Hope this helps.

73, Dick WC1M