[WriteLog] Writelog on RTTY

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog on RTTY
From: garry@ni6t.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Tue Feb 11 01:09:46 2003
John:

It's not primarily a RTTY program, in my view. It is a Windows contesting
program that offers major RTTY coverage, not matched by other Windows
contesting software, so the RTTY gang uses it virtually exclusively, whereas
the CW and SSB crowds have more choices and are more diverse in their
preferences. So it is no surprise to me that RTTY, which requires additional
"stuff" in the form of displays and hardware or software modems, gets
top-heavy attention in this reflector.

WL is kind of like a neighborhood bar that is heavily patronized by the
singles crowd, or bikers, but at which other patrons are found in goodly
numbers as well, because all agree that the drinks, the ambiance and the
prices are attractive.

I bought WL originally because it seemed the only way to migrate from WF1B
RTTY (totally RTTY, but DOS) to a Windows RTTY contesting program. But, in
fact, I have mostly so far used it in CW and SSB contests and am only now
tentatively using it for RTTY. This has worked for me, as the CW and SSB
contests are simpler to set up, and thus it is easier to climb the learning
curve in those modes.

This weekend, I set it up at home for the CW Sprint--which requires very few
windows-- and was also a part of the WX5S M/M team in the WPX RTTY contest,
which used WL with both MMTTY S/W and DXP38 H/W boxes. It's pretty versatile
software.

That said, I think the RTTY discussions here should focus upon Writelog, and
not upon who worked or did not work a particular station in a particular
contest.

Garry, NI6T