[WriteLog] RITTY with WL - Is there a way to have 2 instances ofRITTY r

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RITTY with WL - Is there a way to have 2 instances ofRITTY runningat the same time?
From: jon@praxisworks.org (Jon Harder)
Date: Fri Feb 21 07:51:42 2003
Jim -

>Could there be a conflict
>with both instances of RITTY trying to use the L channel of the sound
>card?  If so, could there be some way of telling the 2nd instance to use
>the R channel of the sound card?)

Yes, and also no!   RITTY wants exclusive use of the sound card.  It permits
only one instance and one sound input.  While there are multiple input
choices inside RITTY's setup screen, you can only use one of these at a
time.

(MMTTY will open two instances of itself, but requires a second sound card.
I use this setup routinely for dual radio ops.)  The built-in RttyRite
decoder in WL allows use of both channels of one stereo soundcard at the
same time, one source for each on-screen window, as explained in the WL help
file.

You also wrote --

>"My recent
> request for suggestions re a computer based cross indicator ."

A very good indicator, but FFT spectrum style, is GSPEC, available to try at

http://www.mrx.com.au/d_spect.htm

It doesn't offer cross-hairs, but I  found it helpful to have on screen when
running a KAM Plus, and not wanting to keep watching the bar-graph.  Same is
true for PK232s.  But if you only have one sound card, and you are also
running RITTY, GSPEC can't access that one card at the same time.

My preferred dual decoder single radio setup at the moment is MMTTY and a
HAL DXP-38 in parallel.  The MMTTY on-screen tuning display gets it right on
the nose for both.  This would also work with a PK-232 paralleled with
MMTTY.

Not much good news here, but at least you'll know why you've been unable to
do what you want to do.  I also like RITTY, but have found it worked best
for me with the venerable WF1B DOS software.  I have RITTY on a second
computer with a parallel feed audio line from one radio.   Having moved on
to WL a couple of years ago, I seldom run RITTY except for casual operating
or Pactor copy (only v 2.38 here.)

Have a good weekend!

Jon    K1US