[WriteLog] Check Call Window - OK?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Check Call Window - OK?
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Sun Feb 23 19:30:55 2003
I am an ophthalmologist (and I can spell it, too). "Color blindness"
occurs in almost 10% of the male population. It is carried on the  X
chromosome, meaning your mother transmitted the trait to you, but
most likely was not color blind herself, as to be affected, she would
need to have the gene on both of her X chromosomes. The odds of that
is 1%. Most "color blind" people have trouble distingiushing  shades
of reds from greens, though other forms exist.

Let's forget about color blindness for a moment, and discuss the more
important issue, affecting all, including those who are color blind -
that is, chromatic aberration. The eye is not a perfect optical
system, and suffers from chromatic aberration. As an example, think
of a prism. Sunlight goes in one side, and a spread spectrum of the
sunlight's components (a rainbow of colors) comes out the other side.
Why is this? Because the glass of the prism does not refract (bend)
all wavelengths of light equally. The shorter wavelengths (blue) are
refracted more than the longer wavelengths (red), and the
intermediate colors (yellow and green) fall in between.

How is this relevant? Suppose you are looking at the Check Call
window. You are focused on a red line. Below that is a green line. It
will be out of focus, because green is a shorter wavelength than red,
so it is refracted more. If the red line is in focus (meaning image
on the retina), the green line will be in focus in front of the
retina, therefore, will be out of focus as seen.  Your brain will
then have conflicting inputs - what to bring into focus, red or
green?

Bottom line - having to resolve multiple colors of significantly
different wavelengths is very fatiguing, especially if you have to do
it for long periods of time. If you've ever been in a lecture where
the lecturer went a little Powerpoint-crazy with colors and effects,
you may have noticed you had trouble reading the slide - this is why.
You can't focus on multiple colors at the same time, espcially if
they are far apart in wavelength (red/violet being the most extreme
example).

While I have no objection to user-selectable colors, I'm perfectly
satisfied with the present setup. As is, the Check Call window makes
perfect sense. When you enter a call in the log window, if there is
no OK (or QSO info for the same call) next to the band, it means you
need that country/state/section for a mult on that band without the
OK.
73,
Barry, W2UP