[WriteLog] Writelog and mmtty

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog and mmtty
From: w1cx@earthlink.net (W1CX)
Date: Mon Feb 24 13:53:29 2003
While operating pj7/w1cx when my log reached about 800 qso's, the mmtty screen
on the computer would freeze and I had to  restart the computer to continue. It
happened repeatedly until the contest was over.

I have been able to recreate this with no rf in the shack at all.

I have established that it was the result of using Writelog-Rttyrite--the
plugin--mmtty all at once. I have used Writelog (sometimes with rttyrite) with
very high rates and large logs in the past and I am convinced that it is not
the problem--Writelog has always worked flawlessly. Mmtty states clearly that
it uses a lot of resources and I can freeze it merely by switching to FIR
detection and simulating a contact when there are 1500+ qso's in the Writelog
log.

My only point in posting this is that before going to some far away location
expecting to run a sound card demodulator, try out the whole setup first with a
big log file in place. My Hal DXP 38 is going next time. (That's optimism!)

Details: the computer is a Dell Inspirion 4000, 550 hHz, 128 m of ram, startup
minimized. mmtty: priority, higher and the echo option turned off. Running WL
v10.38 and mmtty 1.62.

I hope this helps someone.
Regards, Loyd, w1cx