[WriteLog] Serial port setup

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Serial port setup
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:26:21 -0500
The adapter cable should have come with a driver on disk or CD.  If
possible, go to the company's website and see if they have a driver you can
download.  It sure won't be on your Windows CD.

If Windows recognizes your adapter as COM 2, then you should be able to use
it with WriteLog, depending on what you intend to do with it, and depending
on which adaptor you acquired.  Hopefully you will at least be able to do
rig control with it (read freq, cahnge bands etc), but you will NOT likely
do FSK 5-bit Baudot.  You might be able to do CW if you have the Writelog
ini file setup right.  I had one USB serial adapter "cable" that wouldn't
even do rig control; some will.

You would be a lot better off if you could use a motherboard serial port for
CW, PTT, and/or FSK and use the USB serial adapter for rig control (if yours
is one of the ones that will) or other 7- or 8-bit tasks.
Good luck - many have blazed this path before.  ;-)  73 - John (WA9ALS)