[WriteLog] Trouble interfacing the TS-2000 and MFJ 1275 to my laptop...H

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Trouble interfacing the TS-2000 and MFJ 1275 to my laptop...HELP!
From: k7ddmjb@qwest.net (Mike Baker K7DD)
Date: Tue Jun 17 04:26:14 2003
Hello Gang,
        Let me explain what is going on.
        I am running Writelog on an older Compaq Laptop 300Mhz/256Meg RAM/8Gig
HD/with Win 98SE. (I might get to upgrade this to Win2000 if I can make it
all work once, first.)
        It has only one DB9 serial port and one USB port.
        On someone else's recommendation, I bought a new Edgeport remote box
that
goes from a USB port to 4 DB9 serial ports!  Great idea as I want to control
my rotors and antenna switches later on down the road.

        Here is the problem.
        The rig has only one DB9 control plug in.
        The MFJ 1275 has a plug in.
        Writelog works fine hooked to the rig control line.
        The Kenwood computer control software works fine hooked to the computer
control line and can be configured for any (almost) com port.  Writelog has
only com 1 to 4.  If I have the rig control line attached to the DB9 on the
computer and set for com 1, all is fine with Writelog BUT, the Kenwood
control software won't work because two programs are trying to use the same
com port.
        OK< HOW TO I CONTROL THE RIG, USE BOTH PIECES OF SOFTWARE AT THE SAME
TIME
AND STILL RETAIN ALL MY KEYING METHODS AND HAVE NO CONFLICTS???
        Obviously, when I can use both pieces of software, the rig can be run by
computer and I don't HAVE to tune the rig by the knob, just push the screen
button for tuning and other functions while I still use Writelog for its
functions.

        I can't be the first guy to run up against this problem so, how about
one
of you smart guys who figured out how to fix the problem give me the scoop,
PLEASE!  Keep the explanation simple as I am no wiz at the computer and
sometimes need things to be spelled out for me.

        Thanks in advance for any help...

        BTW, got the voice keyer functions working 1 hour before the end of the
VHF
QSO party last weekend and it works GREAT! I need to fine tune some of the
audio files but all in all it should save the voice box a bunch next time
around!

Mike Baker  K7DD
k7ddmjb@qwest.net