[WriteLog] ?Help:WriteLog networking?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] ?Help:WriteLog networking?
From: kc0czi@midmoskywarn.net (Kevin Brown)
Date: Mon Jun 23 23:10:50 2003
You missed precisely what it requires.

Contrary to the documentation - your users do NOT have to be part of the
'administrators' group on the machines.  However - we found that you do need
to be logged in with the same username/password on all machines to allow the
DDE shares to work properly.  DDE of course, is a very old and archaic
sharing mechanism...so it simply needs to be tolerated... for now (hint,
hint).

Another issue is to ensure you login as the selected userid at system
startup. The shares are made, and then cached when writelog initializes on
the machine.  Just logging out as one user, then back in as another will not
suffice.  To do that - you will need to run the netsetv.exe (or similarly
named - cannot remember) to restart the DDE shares with the proper user
attributes.

Additionally - workgroups are the way to go - not domains.  Not sure that
domains wouldn't work - but they take a ton more effort to establish (PDC/AD
server, etc).  A real knuckle-biter for what should be a simple networking
effort.

An alternative is to download and support the IP Logbook function - but know
that it requires a Linux machine to run the server code.

I spent an entire evening with 5 other networking 'gurus' trying to setup
our writelog network last week - this is what we ended up proving was
repeatable, time and again. Any minor variations caused
inconsistencies...regardless of platform.  EXCEPT: win98 seems to always
require the user to enter the same userid/password (as you did when first
logging into the machine) when making the connection to the server.

Again- common workgroup, common userid/password to EVERY machine.  Reboot.
Try it again.

Wayne  - please find a way to abandon the DDE api.  The IP based
client/server code is much better - and more appropriate given today's
technology.