[WriteLog] Field Day concerns

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Field Day concerns
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon Jul 7 13:03:01 2003
Jason,

As far as I know, there is no 15 minute timer in Writelog for Field Day.
That would be a nice feature, though...

I wouldn't recommend changing the band setup, even if you aren't going to
work some of the bands. There's probably a way to make fewer bands display
correctly in the band summary, but I don't know how. Best approach for most
contests is to leave the band setup alone.

You should never use the SEQ number to determine the number of contacts. For
example, if you happen to work a dupe or an out of band contact, that will
increase the SEQ number but not the band totals. The SEQ number is sort of a
raw, unprocessed number. The real number of contacts per band shows up in
the band summary. As for SEQ numbers being the same on more than one
machine, check the Setup menu under "Sort ordering and serial numbers..."
There are several options for how to manage serial numbers with multiple
stations. Your version may have been setup to use separate serial number
tracking on each band. Serial numbers are not sent in Field Day and most
other contests (other than WPX and some others), so this setting isn't
relevant to Field Day.

Well, I would assume that the paddles were not connected to the computer, so
how would Writelog know when the paddles are pressed! Seriously, the problem
is that Writelog does not support paddle input to the computer. NA allows it
through the parallel port, but I was not aware that CT allowed this. That
may be a relatively new feature in CT. At any rate, the only way you can do
this with Writelog is to use the W5XD+ external keyer. Otherwise, use ESC to
terminate messages. This isn't hard to learn and works well.

I don't know what's going on with your summary sheet. Maybe changing the
band setup messed it up.

I wouldn't throw out Writelog just yet. The problems you encountered are all
addressable.

73, Dick WC1M