[WriteLog] Virus Hoax info

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Virus Hoax info
From: k2gn@bhweb.com (Larry - K2GN)
Date: Mon Jul 21 15:50:00 2003
I meant to attach this to my earlier message.
The JDBGMBR hoax tells the user to delete a file on their computer because
it is a previously unknown virus. It is one of the most widely distributed
hoaxes.

  a.. If you receive such a message do not delete the file from your system.
  b.. If you are worried, scan the file to check it for viruses.
  c.. If you receive a copy of JDBGMGR.EXE via email, delete it as you would
any other unsolicited attachment.
JDBGMGR.EXE is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java. The program uses
an icon of a grey teddybear. It is usually found in one or more places among
the Windows system files. Some versions of the hoax misreport the name of
this file as JDBMGR.EXE or JBDGMGR.EXE.

The JDBGMGR.EXE file is no more susceptible than any other to being infected
by a virus.

Some versions of the hoax mistakenly claim that deleting the file
JDBGMGR.EXE is a solution to the W32/Bugbear-A worm. This misconception has
almost certainly come about because JDBGMGR.EXE has an icon of a small grey
teddybear.

Note: The W32/Magistr-A virus may infect the file JDBGMGR.EXE and attach it
to emails (this is unconnected with the hoax). Sophos recommends users
delete the file if they ever receive it as an email attachment.