[WriteLog] re-mapping

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] re-mapping
From: wrt@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Fri Aug 8 10:36:28 2003
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:40:09 -0500, "Courtney Judd - K4WI"
<k4wi@earthlink.net> wrote:

>My main drive is now
>Drive F. Since most programs tend to look for stuff on Drive C; anyone out
>there have a clue as to how to re-map all of the various devices to
>different letters? Thanks and 73's Cort

WinXP makes it easy to change drive letters.

Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk
Management.  There you will see a graphic of all your disks and
partitions.  Right-click on the one you want to change and on the menu
you will see "Change drive letter and paths".  Make your selection as
you like.  Of course you must be logged in with administrative
privileges to do this.

One caution:  When re-lettering, WinXP won't let you accidentally
assign the same letter to two different drives or partitions, so start
with the drive which will eventually have the highest letter and
temporarily assign it an even higher letter.  After you re-assing the
lower drives, re-assign it a letter as you like.

Incidentally, the letters do not have to be contiguous.  Since I swap
hard drives around often, I assigned my CD drive the letter Z just so
it wouldn't be changing all the time.  Works great.

--
73, Bill W7TI