[WriteLog] Multi-Keyer problem

To: <Writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Multi-Keyer problem
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:52:05 -0000
Hi

I have finally got around to installing the W5XD Multi-keyer I brought back
from Dayton and I'm struggling a little.  I wonder if there is someone using
the Multi-keyer who can pull me out of the woods?

This is what I find:

If I key either radio from the computer the selected radio immediately
switches to TX and the contents of the selected F-key buffer are sent
perfectly.  As the radios have neither VOX nor BK-in enabled this suggests
that the PTT control line is working correctly.

If I key either radio using my paddle connected to the Muli-keyer then the
selected radio appears to switch immediately to TX as evidenced by lighting
of the transmit lamp but there is a delay before the rig is keyed.  This
delay is long enough so that a leading dash or couple of leading dots are
not sent and suggests that the Multi-keyer does not start keying straight
away.  However, if I enable bk-in or vox on the selected rig then the front
end dash or dots are sent.  This confirms that the keyer is sending CW to
the rig ok and suggests that for some reason the PTT line is not operating
effective immediately when the paddle is used.

I am scratching my head just now and wonder if anyone might have seen this
problem and hopefully cured it?

What say?

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F