Re: [WriteLog] Insert and plus keys assigned to comma and period

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Insert and plus keys assigned to comma and period
From: kh6nd@lava.net
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:05:49 -1000
Thanks again to all that responded on this subject, in particular to
Don, W6OA, and Ken, K6LA.

Since it has become apparent to me that Wayne has ignored multiple
requests to implement a remapping feature into Writelog, I once again
struck out in search of yet another Windows remapping utility, as I have
been unsuccessful with Macro Magic, and quite a few others. They just
won't remap the Insert and + keys to the keys that I prefer to use for
these important functions, on the machine that I prefer to use, a 400
Mhz Pentium II running Win98SE.

After considerable time invested, I finally came across a utility
(Winmapper) that seems to work flawlessly (I haven't used it under fire
yet), is very un-intrusive to the operating system, consumes minimal
resources, and is very simple to set up and use. (I still have to test
it out on the second radio [RTTY] computer, which runs Win2000... will
do that this weekend.)

Check it out:

http://www.spinner.nl/products/winmapper/winmapper.html

A 30-day trial version is available, and the price for a registered copy
is minimal.

After installing the program to the folder of your choice (very easy, it
doesn't even try to get into your programs folder) I simply did the
following:

Start winmapper.exe from the folder that you installed it to (I put a
shortcut Icon on my desktop, and another on the start menu).

Click on the "Settings" tab.

Uncheck the "Simple mode" box.

Click on the "File" menu, select "Settings", and then "Keyboard map".

When the "Keyboard mapping" window appears, select the "Winmapper" tab.

Click on the "Add" button.

When the "Key map" window appears, click on the "Key" box, then push the
key that you want to become the new Insert key.

Click on the "Maps to key" box, and push the Insert key.

Click okay. Your Insert key is now remapped to the key of your choice.

Follow the last 4 steps to remap the + key.

Make sure to put a check mark in the "Enable" box in this "Keyboard
mapping" window when you're done. You can actually leave Winmapper
active any time you wish, and enable or disable it just by checking or
un-checking this box.

I hope that this helps some of you out of the same dilemma that I have
been struggling with for some time here. I feel like I'm finally ready
to use Writelog for any mode, any contest. The 03/04 contest season is
upon us.

Let us hear from any of you that find this information useful.

Aloha,

Mike
KH6ND