RE: [WriteLog] VE1 Azimuth information

To: <writelog@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] VE1 Azimuth information
From: "Bob McCormick W1QA" <writelog@W1QA.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:03:57 -0400
OK - I gave all the info excepting the most important:
where this information is stored!  My my ...

The file that needs correcting is the NA_CTY.DAT file,
which you may find in the WriteLog programs directory.

On my system the full path to the file is as follows:

C:\ham\Programs\na_cty.dat

You can edit this with any text editor (like notepad).
I suggest making a backup copy of the original file
before making any changes.

Scroll down past all the US call areas ... and find:

  Canada NS:

Make the following changes on that line:

  old = 42.08859    new = 44.65370

  old = 98.64997    new = 63.59988

Caution:
The U.S. W0: line also has those old coordinates ...
so DON'T use a find/replace to change these unless
you're certain to leave the W0 entry as-is.

Save your changes.

The WriteLog program actually does not use this text
based .DAT file - but a .BIN file by the same name.
So you'll have to use a utility to convert the
na_cty.dat creating na_cty.bin.

(If any of these instructions are inaccurate could
someone kindly correct me?!)

The ReadCTY V10 program should be able to do this:

Start -> All Programs -> Writelog v10 -> Convert CTY to WriteLog
(your menu may vary depending on Windows versions, etc.)

Click on: Convert alternative prefix database...

Select the aforementioned na_cty.dat file
(the open file dialogue box should be in the programs directory)
Click: Open

Close the ReadCTY V10 window

If all is well, you should notice an updated na_cty.bin file
in the programs directory (with date modified = today, right now).

Launch WriteLog and enter some test calls ...
Try a VE1, VE9 and W0 call.  If your fix is good,
the VE1 and VE9 should be close (direction and distance wise).
Previously the VE1 and W0 would be the same; that's a good
way to tell if you've got the bad or modified .BIN file.

Hopefully Wayne W5XD will include this modification in
the next general release of WriteLog.

73
Bob W1QA