[WriteLog] usb/ rtty interface

To: "Writelog List" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] usb/ rtty interface
From: "Ron Spencer" <ronspencer@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:03:08 -0400
Thought I would pass this along to the collective group.

This setup worked without a hitch during last weekends rtty contest.

Dell Inspiron lap top
Targus port replicator model (on back of replicator) PA090.
Radio: Ic 746 and/ or IC 781
Radio interface: Home made using the Maxim RS232 level converting chip.

Connecting the radio to the serial port gave excellent radio control.
Sending/ receiving rtty via the lap top mike and headphones connectors
worked without a hitch.

I've also tested the serial port and it works well controlling the radio and
sending cw (have to wire up the DB9 to do both). Have not tried at high
power but worked great at 150W.

Could never get the usb ports to control the radio although I only tried
using one of the cheap, $18, usb to DB9 cables. Could not tell what chip
they used. Writelog would recognize something was connected but never read
the freq/ mode at all. But did not give "no radio" found message.

If you want more info please e mail me directly at ronspencer@nc.rr.com.
Hope this helps someone! Good DX.
Ron
N4XD