RE: [WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] OMNI VI+ and FSK

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] OMNI VI+ and FSK
From: "George Skoubis" <george.skoubis@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 23:42:21 -0500
Hi,

  My name is George / KF9YR.

  I was watching this thread with interest because I have not been able
to get my OmniVI (Option 3 upgrade +) to work on FSK.

  I made a circuit with 3 4N33 Optoisolators and the radio will key CW
and the PTT works but the FSK circuit will key the circuit but no one
will come back to my CQ's and I can't work others (STRONG signals,
either barefoot or high power with the beam pointed right at them...).

  I can monitor my output signal on another rig and hear that the signal
sounds clean.  I have tried both Writelog and Logger32 (MMTTY).

  I also tried using just a 1k resistor between pin 3 (TXD, Center
conductor of RCA plug) and pin 5 (ground, shield conductor of RCA plug).
This hasn't resulted in any contacts either.

  The rig is in FSK mode.

  When I hook up the sound card I can get it to transmit fine.

  I hooked up the headphone output of the second rig to the input of the
sound card and recorded a short cq using just a 1k resistor.  The link
can be found on my web page www.qsl.net/kf9yr click on FSK File from
Omni VI near the bottom.  This is a small file 115 kb.  There is some
hum since I don't have the second rig grounded (it's not hooked to an
antenna either, I just pulled it out of my Blazer for this test) and
there's probably some kind of ground loop between the computer and the
monitor rig.

  The hum is not there when I monitor the signal "on the air" without
the soundcard audio in connected to the headphone output of the 706.

  I had my Omni VI in FSK mode on 14.087 and my Icom 706 in RTTY mode on
14.087 when I made this recording.

  Could one of you listen to this and see if you can determine if my
signal is inverted or if it is off frequency?  Or if it is just some
sort of warbling with no discernable pattern whatsoever?!!

  BTW, I did make sure I don't have RIT or XIT enabled...

Thanks in Advance...

73 de George / KF9YR