[WriteLog] CW keying suddenly erratic HELP!

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] CW keying suddenly erratic HELP!
From: n3oc@wirelessinc.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:37:46 -0400
Hi, I am pretty desperate for some help in getting LPT CW keying to work again
with writelog.

It has worked just fine for a long time, then when I went out of the country a
couple months ago for a contest I discovered it is now erratic - sort of sounds
like what it is supposed to, but very broken up and erratic.  CT keys just fine
(had to use it for the contest because of this) so I know my hardware is OK.

In addition, all the other parts of writelog work fine, the voice keyer via the
sound card is fine, the rig interface is fine, and rtty is fine.  Only think
broke is CW via the LPT port, which was just fine until recently.

The laptop's OS in Windows ME (okay okay I know ME is funny, but the LPT keying
has worked FINE for a long time!) and the Writelog version is 10.34B.

Yes, I have installed some other various non-ham related software over the last
year, but nothing I can put my finger on that would do this.  I bring up the
task manager and kill off just about every other task that is running, and it
still does not work.

I have tried many things over the past couple months, including re-installing
Writelog, and running Windows setup on top of the old install to see if it
updated or repaired any files.  Nothing seems to help.

I have even tried changing the LPT port type in the cmos setup from Standard,
to ECP, to EPP and that does not help either.

And I have reviewed the reflector archives, I see others have had some issues
here but none seem quite the same as this.

I am at the end of the rope here, I hate to give up on Writelog but I just
don't know what else to try, and other programs that use LPT keying like CT and
DX4WIN work just fine, so I really doubt I have a hardware issue.

HELP!!!!

Brian N3OC