[WriteLog] Re: CW keying with WL

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: CW keying with WL
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:15:33 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Doug,

I suppose you could interface between the sound card and your rig's microphone
input for transmitting but I've never heard of anyone doing that.  You could
get it to work but your rig would think you're using voice, and would likely
not allow you to switch-in any narrow IF filtering that would be suitable for
crowded CW bands.

You can build/use a simple transistor interface circuit between your serial
port and rig, or interface directly from a parallel port (assuming your rig
uses 5 volt logic on the keying input).  However, it is not at all good idea.
This is because there will be no ground isolation between the two.  The best
plan then, is to use some form of isolation (such as an optoisolator IC).  The
4N33 works well for me (I use the serial port). The current-limiting resistor
for the input would be based on the voltage (typically either 5 volts or
12volts depending on whether you're using a parallel port or a serial port),
and the input current of the optoisolator. For a current of 10mA, this would be
about 500 ohms for 5V drive, or 1.2 Kohm for 12V drive.

Vy 73 es gud DX,
Bryan, WA7PRC