RE: [WriteLog] SS Probs

To: <K4BEV@aol.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] SS Probs
From: "Barry Merrill" <barry@mxg.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:13:03 -0600
I'm willing to wager that you have an rfi problem.

Or at least that's been my explanation for them.

I see the same problem sporadically, but
less frequently now that I've minimized a
lot of my old rfi problems (when I had metal
guys with no insulator, for example),
and as I minimized the rfi pickup in the
notebook by the addition of snap-on ferrites.

I had solid lockup of keying as I increased
power above 200 w on the amp, but I could make
the problem come and go at will, so it was
easy to add snap on ferrites, raise the power,
add another, etc, until with four I can run
the full 1500w with no CW lockup.

I had six "bad frequencies" in the log this
past weekend's SS in 18 hours, and I didn't
see any of them happen; I would only notice
them a few QSO's later (and I was always running
and they'd show up in the middle of a run where
I never touched the radio dial).  I suspect it is
a combination of transmitting at the precise
time (maybe with a specific beam heading, as I
did a lot of rotating!) when the radio's frequency
is being read for the log, and rfi causes a
missed sample, and counts inverted are frequency.

Or something similar.

While five were 16xxxx large values, one was 3203!

Barry, W5GN

P.S. I'd love for there to be a different explanation
     and a software correctable, and for this conjecture
     to be proven wrong!