RE: [WriteLog] Several issues

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Several issues
From: "Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:12:43 -0500
Jim,

If you are using an NPN transistor interface, then Writelog must be using
postive logic, not negative logic. Right? Anyway, in addition to signal
inversion, there are several good reasons to use a transistor interface.
First, the rig's keying circuit may or may not be compatible with the LPT or
serial port signal. The LPT port uses TTL logic, and so the high and low
signals are +5VDC and 0VDC respectively. Some rig keying circuits may not
like this or their higher voltage may be dangerous for the LPT port. The
RS-232 serial port standard defines high as up to +15VDC and low as up to
-15VDC. Again, this voltage swing may not be compatible with all rig keying
circuits. Therefore, it's advisable to use a transistor interface with a
+12VDC supply. Further, the current draw in the rig keyer circuit could
exceed the current rating on the LPT port or (less likely) the serial port.
A transistor interface will eliminate that danger. Finally, the transistor
interface provides extra safety in the event the key line is accidentally
shorted -- the transistor will die instead of your LPT port!

73, Dick WC1M