[WriteLog] Keyboard accelerators (Was WL not saving configuration"right"

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Keyboard accelerators (Was WL not saving configuration"right")
From: "Wayne Wright, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:49:29 -0600 (CST)
> On EVERY other Windows program I own, and underlined letter (like on a
> typical OK (or) NO dialog box, indicates if you press ALT + the underlined
> letter, that will perform the same function as clicking the button with a
> mouse.
>
> On the WriteLog top menu, the underlined letters are, in fact, "typical"
> accelerators.
>
> I already tried ALT + B for the SSB "Accelerator"...even tried CTRL + B
> and SHIFT + B trying to figure out if, in fact, it was an "accelerator" or
> perhaps a typo.  Same thing with the CW/RTTY/SSB messages underlined Y.
>
> Now you call it a "Keyboard Accelerator".
>
> I looked up "Accelerator" in the Help file.  Nothing.
>
> So I looked up "Keyboard accelerator(s)" and found nothing.
>
> FINALLY, after clicking on several items labels "Keyboard", what came up
> was a file entitled "Special Message Accelerator Keys".
>
> Now, are you telling me that your "keyboard accelerators" (a/k/a "Special
> Message Accelerator Keys" are synonomous with "F/Function" keys?

I suspect something is broken on your machine. Or, possibly, you have
changed Windows setup to somehow turn off the accelerators. (Also called
"shortcuts" in Windows documentation). When I bring up the CW/RTTY/SSB
dialog, and do exactly what you say (ALT+B, ALT+S, etc.) I get exactly the
Windows-prescribed behavior--the cursor jumps to the dialog box entry
designated by the underline.

The reason the WL help files do not have any detail about this topic is
that its built into Windows. You can find such documentation in the
Windows help. I found it on XP using the Start menu Help entry, under
"keyboard shortcuts". Versions of Windows prior to XP had a way to turn on
and off the underlining until you press the ALT key. I am running XP today
and see its doing that (the underlining does not appear until I press ALT)
but I know earlier versions of Windows had a setting to always display
(and if you go back early enough, there was no setting--the underline
always showed).

Wayne