Re: [WriteLog] An answer for K6VVA

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] An answer for K6VVA
From: Eric Hilding <eric@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:37:47 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Dave L Thompson wrote:

> I tried replying to Eric K6VVA but got bumped as spam by his filter.
> Sorry for the band width but there are a lot of SSB Contesters out
> there...

Sorry about the filter "bump".  Since some of the WL posts end up in a "v
i r u s"  filter trap on the Unix this is how I must deal with things.  If
it weren't for the Net Criminals in the world, I wouldn't have to keep
apologizing to legit people for the inconveniences.

Yes...there are a lot of SSB Contestors out there.

> Eric,
>
> The best most operators do on SSB is record a set of wav files for the
> prefixes and for each letter of the alphabet.  Then set a function key
> for call sent.   For example F5 then K6VVA would send kilowatt 6 victor
> victor alpha.   Keying the call would select the wav files.

Yes, tnx, and yet this is a much longerrrrrrr time that just the
letters/numbers.  I have started on some recording/editing tweaks to see
if this can't be refined & will put up a demo when I can get around to
finishing the project.

> Its still robot sounding with the spacing.  If you find someone who can
> do it better let me know.  Dx contests are more difficult.  I think the
> ultimate answer will be voice recognition that you set up and then mix to
> get the more natural sounds not wav files.  Wav files are better for 5905
> or 59 Georgia.

I agree DX contests will be more difficult, but for the ARRL Phone SS
where most operators speak good English, I believe my latest suggested
approach holds great promise...and won't require as many pre-recordings of
full callsigns.  My initial whack at it today yielded awesome results
(IMHO), as decided to include "number" with the full serial number .wav
for a more natural flow.  I'm even more excited now, actually :-)

You may be onto something with the 'Voice Recognition' aspect. I'll be the
CIA has just what we need, but rather doubt the top-end stuff is
available!!!

Tnx, Dave.

73...

Rick, K6VVA