Re: [WriteLog] Chatting during contest

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Chatting during contest
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:20:12 +0000
Jon Harder wrote:
Yes, Alt-Gr has been a familiar fixture on German (at least) keyboards for a
long time now.  As I recall it allows a more feature-rich character set, or
other options I've forgotten.

I've got one packed away in storage as I don't need it as much as I used to
anymore when writing things in German.  Not sure what the keyboard code is
either.

Could any of the DL gang offer some enlightenment on this?

Jon         K1US
(ex-OE2ZDL)

I looked into it some more... the AltGr key is a feature of the Microsoft "international" keyboard layouts which are standard issue in most countries except the USA.

AltGr is equivalent to pressing Ctrl-Alt, and is used as a shortcut to generate accented characters. Exactly which characters will depend on the keyboard layout and the language selected in Windows Control Panel.

Since the AltGr key appears on just about every PC keyboard in the world outside of the USA, it would be nice if WL could recognise AltGr-K, AltGr-F9/F10 etc... or at least point out in the Help that the AltGr key won't work.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK