[WriteLog] USB to Parallel or port replicators

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] USB to Parallel or port replicators
From: Kurszewski Chad-WCK005 <Chad.Kurszewski@motorola.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:20:09 -0600
I've searched the archives, but couldn't find any decent answers.
I'm going on a dx/contestpedition and am planning on bringing my
laptop as the logging computer.  As many of you know, newer laptops
are sorely lacking in serial or parallel ports.  Most newer laptops
only have one serial port (if lucky) and no parallel ports.

I'm considering purchasing one of these "port replicators" that
plug into USB and give you additional USB ports, one or two
serial ports, a parallel port and other less important ports
(two PS2 for mouse and keyboard, and ethernet).  Ideally, I
would use the PC's one serial port, and the port replicator's
serial port for two radio control.  I would like to use the
LPT on the replicator for CW and PTT generation, A/B radio
select switching , as well as providing switch outputs for
an outboard voice keyer (my internal soundprocessor isn't
compatible with WL...bummer).  Yes, I know that I can generate
CW and PTT from the serial, but I can't get A/B select and
DVK switch outputs from a serial port, hence I need the LPT.

I would like to hear from anyone who has used one of these
devices, specifically if you used the LPT port for CW/PTT
and the other functions mentioned.  I'm guessing that if
you got it to work for CW, that it would work for the A/B
select and DVK outputs.  Did it work or not?  What model
were you using?

You can reply direct if you wish.

Thanks,
Chad WE9V