[WriteLog] PVRC review

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] PVRC review
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 03:19:47 -0000
1. The reviewer thinks that "modes" in the program are good. That the
program should change its response to certain keystrokes based on
whether it is  in the S&P mode or the Run mode. It has been my
opinion for a very long time that modes cause more problems than they
solve?

I agree with you, Wayne.  I like it the way it is.  Obviously, there
are a group of TR fans who like "modes."  If you want to get into it,
you could offer it as an option via the INI file.  Just like you have
a "CT compat" mode, you could have a "TR compat" mode.  This may
attract some current TR users

2. zooming of the bandmap. how useful is this to you?

I haven't had a need for it.  My bandmap has never overflowed, as I
have spots set to expire at 20 minutes.  In my experience, any longer
leaves a lot of outdated information in the bandmap. However, it does
sound like a neat idea.

3. The reviewer takes away points from WL because its windows can be
docked instead of floating on the desktop. Surely I should not remove
this feature from WL?

Surely you shouldn't.

4. The review takes away points from WL because we don't update the
software in real time during contest weekends and "updates come out
infrequently". I have been reasonably happy with our beta
test/release process (which routinely catches a number of bugs before
they go out to thousands of users), but that process pretty much
guarantees that from a request to a commercial release is a minimum
of 4 to 6 weeks as that's how long it takes to get through the beta
test process. Would users really prefer that the beta tests be
publically available?

Doesn't interest me. I typically don't update versions until everyone
else has worked through the bugs :.)

5. The reviewer had 3 or 4 month old information regarding the way we
manage the country files and multiplier files, so his specific
complaints are inaccurate, but it still raises the question of how
that should be done. The WriteLog FULL distributions have copies of
those files that were current when the distribution was created, and
the UPGRADE distributions do NOT have the files at all. This means
that you have to download the new files, and you get notices on
writelog@contesting.com when they change. I don't think its a good
idea to embed those files in the UPGRADE installs because I think
there should be exactly one way for a user to get the latest files
and some users don't upgrade right before the contest, and some users
upgrade their software, but not necessarily to the most recent
version (and so would get old files if the UPGRADE had them).

Agree.
Barry W2UP