RE: [WriteLog] Audio Recording

To: Steve GW4BLE <GW4BLE@btconnect.com>, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Audio Recording
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:34:13 -0500
According to my understanding:

1.  Recording transmit audio:

   There are several approaches.

   a) Record the audio from your headphone jack; turn on the monitor function.
The drawback to this approach is that the audio
level may not match the full dynamic range of your soundboard's encoder, and
will vary depending on where you set the radio's AF
gain.

   b) Record from the line output.  The advantage of this approach is that the
level is fixed, independent of headphone volume (AF
gain).  The drawback to this approach is that many (but not all) radios do not
supply a copy of the transmit sidetone/audio to the
line out (a vestige from the days when line in/out were used mostly for phone
patching).  One work around is to build a little box,
triggered by the PTT/amp key signal, that switches over to the headphones (and
monitor signal) when transmitting.

2.  No mechanism to snip out the QSO that you were listening to.  You can edit
the sound file with any internet editor, once you
know the relative start time (minutes from the start of the file).  Check the
StartTimes files that WriteLog creates to know which
file contains the QSO, and the timestamp of the start of the file.  Tedious but
it works.

-- Eric K3NA

[Note:  If you work K3NA in ARRL SSB, he is not in MD!]