Re: FW: [WriteLog] Email verification

To: 'Writelog' <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: FW: [WriteLog] Email verification
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:08:11 -0800
Some time ago I spent something like an hour composing a careful reply to someone's request for help, including checking that what I said actually worked by starting up WL and running a few tests. I, like everyone else, do this kind of thing because many people have helped me in the past when I didn't have a clue about something.

I got the same kind of automated response back that started this thread. I looked at it in disbelief for a few moments and said, "Screw this. I wasted an hour on some jerk." Needless to say, he never received my solution to his problem. I had exactly the same disinclination to "jump through a bunch of hoops in order to help this guy" as was mentioned by someone else in this thread. Oviously, I was very offended by the response, no matter how good an idea it seemed to be to the sender. I see now that I am not alone in having these feelings.

I've been trying to think why I found this reply so offensive. I can only conclude that when I'm offering help I expect the other person to meet me half way, not hide behind some sort of barricade where I have to apply to a gatekeeper to be allowed in to make my offer. I find that I'm getting angry just thinking about it and and it happened over a year ago.

Offering help is an expression of love. Expressing love makes one vulnerable (unless, of course, you're a saint). Love turns to hate when mistreated. I felt mistreated.

From a different perspective, any businessman who understands the basic principles will tell you that you do your best to make it easy for the customer to place an order. In our milieu this translates into doing your best to make it easy for someone to help you.

I like Jim's suggestion that those who choose to make it difficult to reply to them state that fact in their request. That would enable me to direct my expressions of love towards those who are willing to unconditionally receive it.

Wow, that feels better.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Jim Rhodes wrote:

I am replying both direct & to the group on this one.

Mike (and others who feel the need to use this type of software) - It might soften the blow if you would warn us that you are running "rude" software when you solicit a response. I have received this type of response from others who ask for assistance and then I get a message that my e-mail was refused or something. And I usually do add these people to the filter list. If you would just warn us that it is not easy to reply directly to you, we will reply to the list & clutter up everyone's in box so that yours isn't. Or we will just not reply. But to have your help refused leaves a bad taste in one's mouth and we tend to avoid it in the future.