Re: [WriteLog] UTC Clock

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] UTC Clock
From: "Art Searle W2NRA" <w2nra@birdsandbeacons.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:15:50 -0500
> Art, Do a google search for . . . .

Thanks for this info.  I used to use one of these
stand-alone clocks.  And of course a separate
clock would work too (I haven't had a clock in the
shack in years).   But I haven't needed one since
most ham related packages include one.  My logging
program does.  My rig control program does.  I am
really surprised that WriteLog doesn't have one.
I know it's an all-business contesting program and
a clock would be considered unnecessary.  Also I'm
not a contester.  I just dabble and WriteLog is
the best program I have ever used for contesting.
I also realize that I don't know half of what
WriteLog is capable of but I do see a clock as
useful.  For instance at the start of a contest.
I don't want to start a contest early and I don't
totally trust computers so I always check the
programs clock against one of the internet UTC
clocks.  With WriteLog I have to log a fake entry
to do that.  Even if the computer clock is
accurate how do you know if the UTC offset is
correct if you cannot see it?  Remember
daylight-savings-time starts in 2 weeks.  How many
of use are using the same computer we used and
year ago?  Is it set up write?  Are you sure?  Who
else would like to see a UTC clock in the corner
of the software?

Art
W2NRA